Who We Are
Smile for a Lifetime Foundation is a charitable non-profit organization that provides orthodontic care to individuals who may not have the opportunity to acquire assistance. Launched in 2008, Smile for a Lifetime Foundation aims to reach individuals with financial challenges, special situations, and orthodontic needs. The Foundation sponsors the orthodontic care of hundreds of patients each year. Smile for a Lifetime Foundation has participating orthodontists throughout the US. Each chapter has its own local Board of Directors who choose patients to be treated by the Foundation.
It is our mission to create self-confidence, inspire hope, and change the lives of children in our community in a dramatic way. The gift of a smile can do all this for a deserving, underserved individual who, in turn, can use this gift to better themselves and our community.
Dr. David Sarver donates all of the orthodontic services free of charge for the Birmingham area. He is a Diplomate of the American Board of Orthodontics and is known throughout the world for providing innovative and life-changing orthodontic excellence. He teaches orthodontic residents at both North Carolina and UAB and is the co-author of "Contemporary Orthodontics". He has also been featured on NBC's "Today Show" and ABC's "The View".
- Must be between 11 and 17 years old.
- Family income must not exceed 185% of the poverty threshold.
- Must have a significant aesthetic need for braces.
- Must be a currently enrolled student and performing satisfactorily in school (minimum 2.0 GPA).
- Letters of Recommendation are mandatory. Please do not submit more than two letters, and limit each reference letter to one page each. Please type or print clearly with black ink (no pencil). Must be written by; school, church or community leaders that know the applicant. Letters of recommendation should NOT be written by family members.
- Your attached 5X7 picture must be a clear picture of the applicant’s full smile with teeth showing and a close up photo of the smile.
- Applicant must fill out and submit: application and applicant questionnaire by the deadline.
- Your application, letters of reference and pictures will not be returned to you and will become property of Smile for a Lifetime foundation.
- The applicant must be a resident of Birmingham, AL or surrounding areas.
- Must be willing during the treatment period to “pay it forward” by completing 40 hours of community service at your charity of choice. These volunteer hours must be tracked.
- Must demonstrate a positive attitude.
- Must agree to follow the treatment plan, and demonstrate the ability and commitment to make all appointments on time.
- Must show involvement and leadership in extracurricular activities.
- Return your completed application, letters of recommendation, and photo to:
Smile for a Lifetime Foundation
Attn: Smile for a Lifetime
1705 Vestavia Parkway
Birmingham, AL 35216
Applications that do not meet these criteria will not be voted on by our Board of Directors. Our Board of Directors will meet quarterly to make their selections.
If your application is received after the deadline, it WILL BE deferred to the following deadline’s board meeting. Applications are kept on file for a maximum of 6 to 8 months from the date received, after which time, it is expected that the applicant will provide all financial records for the current fiscal year.
Application & Questions
If you have questions, please call Sarver Orthodontics at (205) 979-7072 or via e-mail at email@example.com
. The link for the S4L Application is below under the heading "S4L Application Document".
to go to the Smile for a Lifetime website to read the current and past newsletters.
Applicants not accepted are welcomed and encouraged to resubmit every quarter.
S4L Application Document
You will need Adobe Reader to view and print the S4L Application.